Final Project Proposal

I decided to do my research on the way our criminal justice system effect people of color. Considering how the system is entirely unfair, I want to explore how citizens are not only treated unfair but also the history, the present, and the future of social injustice against people of color. My inquiry questions are:

~Why is it that minorities are more susceptible to police brutality and injustices in prison?

~When an injustice happens to a person of color, can the media influence law-makers into creating new laws to protect citizens?

~What long term effects does the criminal justice system have when impacting an Individuals life, in terms of negative or positive?

I feel as though this topic is very important to me. I have personal experiences and have witnessed social injustices in my very own neighborhood. I always believed that our prison system was unfair and there are several examples shown in the media of unjust actions. People of color are most effected by these injustices. I want to know what it is that causes minorities to be a such a repetitive target?

For this research project I will be using documentaries that shine information on this topic. I will be looking into statistics and data, based on the US prison system. In addition, I will be searching for articles that can help me answer my three top questions and other questions that I have been personally curious about. For example, a question that I also have would be is there a loophole that connects to why people of color get arrested more?