Module 8 (May 12-May 20): The Finish Line

Well, we’re almost done with the Semester from Actual Hell. Between COVID-19, global economic collapse, murder hornets in the Pacific Northwest, and a literal plague of locusts in Africa (can you believe that’s a true sentence??? I still can’t), mass CUNY confusion, and all of the societal and personal struggles we had already, please be kind to yourselves and forgive yourselves for any academic or emotional difficulties you’ve been having. I know each and every one of you is doing the best you can under these circumstances, and whatever your best is, that’s okay.

I am very happy to tell you that we have Only One Assignment Left, and it’s mostly stuff you’ve already done.

Learning Objectives:

1. Students will be able to use web design software (WordPress) to showcase their work
  2. Students will apply their rhetorical knowledge to display their work in a way that is both professional and personally expressive (whatever that means to them)
  3. Students will reflect on their learning this semester, evaluating their own work and the structure of the course

Overview of Tasks:

1. Compile your final portfolio (Due Wednesday May 20 by the end of the day)
  2. Watch instructional videos as needed to learn WordPress skills
  3. Write your final reflective letter and answer a short prompt. Put these into your portfolio too.
  4. Complete OPTIONAL sharing and reflection activities
  5. Make sure Olivia has access to your portfolio.
  6. Complete any missing assignments, late work, and revisions of previous assignments.

Step 1: Compile your Final Portfolio

The full instructions + rubric for the portfolio are here. 

Most of the portfolio is actually just stuff you’ve already written. Decide how you want to arrange them on your portfolio website and upload them. (See Step 2)

Step 2: Watch Instructional Videos as Needed

I have made screencast videos for you on the following topics:

Please watch only the ones that you need.

Step 3: Write The Remaining Pieces of your Portfolio

These are the Reflective Letter and answering the short prompt on the assignment sheet. Shoot for at least 3-4 pages for the letter– you should be doing deep reflection on the entire semester, the writing you have done, what you’ve learned, what you still want to learn, how you would do things differently now, etc.

Then add these things to your portfolio.

Step 4: Complete OPTIONAL Activities

Again, this step is optional, but I will give you participation points if you do it. No one will be penalized for not doing it.

Optional Activity 1: Sharing Your Work

Normally, I have everyone give an informal presentation of their final paper at the end of the semester, so that you get to share your research/findings + hard work with people besides just me. If you would like to give some form of digital presentation, you are welcome to do so. This is NOT a Zoom call. It could take the following forms:

• Posting your final draft to the course site for others to read
  • Making a video, Powerpoint, still image, or other kind of visual presentation that shares the main ideas from your work
  • Writing an informal summary post of what you learned/which pieces you want to share with the class
  • Really, anything else you’d like to do to share your work.

Optional Activity 2: What’s Going On/Where Are We Now?

Originally, before the pandemic, we were going to spend a day analyzing and discussing how our studies on algorithms and rhetoric relate to current events. If you want to write a comment or post along these lines– perhaps finding a news story or other coverage of a current event and sharing your thoughts on it– please do.

Step 5: Make Sure I Have Access To Your Portfolio

If your privacy settings on your site are set to public, all you need to do is email me the link to your site (or post it as a comment here if you want to also share it with your classmates).

If your privacy settings are set to something else, it’s a little more complicated, because you have to add me as a member of your site. See the video linked to above (once I’ve made it).

Portfolios are due on WEDNESDAY, MAY 20 by the end of the day. 

Step 6: Complete All Missing Work + Revisions

If you are missing other assignments that you would like to get credit for, now is the time to work on them.

If you would like to revise a previous assignment that you already completed for a better grade, you can also do that.

Everything can either be emailed to me, posted here on the course site, or resubmitted on Blackboard.

All missing work is also due by the end of the day on Wednesday, May 20. Because I need to grade everything quickly before final grades are due, this deadline is not very flexible. If you need a little bit of extra time beyond that, here’s what I need you to do:

1. Send me an email detailing exactly which assignments you are going to complete AND which day in the week after the 20th you will send them to me.
  2. Follow through on your deadline.

If you do not meet the deadline you told me in your email, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to accept your assignment(s). This is because once I upload final grades to CUNYFirst, I cannot change them.