Proposal for the final project (draft)

The topic I would like to conduct my research about is serial killers in popular media.

The reasons why I decided to choose this particular topic are out of my personal interest in Serial offenders and it is relevant to our course since it is going to be an analysis of media and the way they deliver information about serial killers to masses.

The main questions I would like to focus on are:

• What exactly makes serial killers such a desirable topic of true crime tv shows, documentaries, books, etc. Why not other crime offenders – like frauds, human, drug, weapon trafficking, etc.
  • The way media portray serial killers and the way it is been perceived by people
  • In what range are heavily academic terminology Is used by media and how it affects the way information is perceived.

The two main reasons why I decided to choose this particular topic are out of my personal interest in Serial offenders and it is relevant to our course since it is going to be an analysis of media and the way they deliver information about serial killers to masses.

However, besides that there is one more reason worth mentioning: on the popular streaming platform such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime video, etc., whenever we enter the true-crime or documentary section, majority of the content is related to serial killers and/or serial homicide (in case if the person killed not enough people to be clarified as a serial killer or cold cases without killer’s identity).

Most of the people can list at least 5 serial killers – Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Albert DeSalvo (aka Boston Strangler) and Dennis Rader (aka BTK killer) – are the most famous killer in the U.S. and I am not even counting Zodiac killer, who was never caught but remains a popular figure in the true crime world. But for instance, how many names of the famous Drug Lords ordinary people know? Except for Pablo Escobar? Even though there are quite a lot of active Drug Cartels such as Sinaloa, Tijuana, Gulf, Juarez Cartels.

I’d like to focus on Q#1 since it has been questioned, I was wondering about for a while now. But I may change the focus of my study for this project if I won’t find enough literature on the question.

In terms of the research process – I will use my own books about Serial Killers and Serial homicide for essential information and terminology. As for exploring the topic of the questions – I would dig into the library in order to find related articles, dissertations, and even books. I already started to do so and I found a few interesting works that may help me in my research but I can’t say that for sure at this point because I didn’t have a chance to analyze those articles carefully.

2 thoughts on “Proposal for the final project (draft)

1. Juan Marte Melendez

Hi Riad,

The topic you have chosen is very interesting and I would love to see your portfolio. Since I was child I have been interested in the subject of serial criminals. I’d just like to ask you what factors are you going to present about serial killer, for example how are they presented legally? socially? psychologically?

Reply
    1. Riad S Abdullayev Post author

Thank you, Juan! I was planning to focus more on the psychological aspects of serial killers since I am studying forensic psychology and, frankly, I am very interested in the topic since childhood too. I’ll definitely try to make it more clear in my final proposal – thank you so much!

Reply