Module 6 (April 25-May 1): Writing Time!

This week, we’ll be drafting our final papers!!!

There are several different due dates within this module, since there are several components. Feel free to turn things in late if you are not able to complete them on time, with no penalty. However, those of you who have chosen to participate in peer review should honor your commitment to your groupmates and prioritize giving them feedback above other work for this course, because that impacts others, not just yourself.

Goals and Learning Objectives

1. Evaluate different methods of outlining a final paper and create your own
  2. Begin synthesizing information learned through your research into a form appropriate for sharing with others! (In this case, an essay.)
  3. Practice critically evaluating writing through peer review and self-revision
  4. Practice your rhetorical skills by offering feedback to peers in constructive , clear, yet polite ways.

Overview of Tasks

1. Orient yourself with a Writing Into the Week prompt
  2. Explore examples of real outlines that real undergraduates used to write final papers
  3. Outline your paper using one of the styles you looked at or by inventing your own outline form (due Monday April 27 by the end of the day)
  4. Read or Skim resources on MEAL Plan paragraph structure and incorporating evidence into paragraphs.
  5. Using your outline, begin drafting your paper. Turn in a partial draft via Blackboard. (Due Wednesday April 29 by the end of the day.)
  6. Attend optional Zoom class on Wednesday at 4:30 or watch the recorded video afterwards. I will be discussing introductions and conclusions and answering any questions you may have.
  7. For those of you doing peer review, write feedback for your classmates by the end of Friday May 1st. 
  8. Read about two more rhetorical strategies and post examples/analysis of each. (Due Friday May 1 by the end of the day.)

Step 1: Writing Into the Week

Please write for 5-10 minutes on the following prompts. I encourage you to leave your response as a comment on this post.

1. What aspects of writing a paper do you often find challenging? (In other words, what are your sticking points?)
  2. What would be helpful to have or think about in advance in order to make these aspects easier?
  3. Are there any particular writing topics (some aspect of grammar, or paragraph structure, style, etc.) that you would like to learn more about/get extra guidance on?

Step 2: Explore Examples of Outlines

Some of you may have already looked at these when I posted them earlier this week. For those who didn’t, please review the examples now. Decide what seems helpful or unhelpful to YOU and how YOU prefer to work as a writer.

If something seems too stressful and overwhelming? Don’t do it. If something seems like it will make writing easier for you? Do it! These are all examples, not the One Right Way to write an outline.

Step 3: Outline Your Paper

Following the instructions, write an outline for your paper. It can take any shape you want. Make something you think will HELP YOU as you begin drafting your paper. If it’s not going to be helpful, what’s the point?

It can be messy. You can write things like “Say something about ______ here.” Whatever works for you.

Step 4: Read Or Skim Resources

Some of you may already feel comfortable structuring paragraphs and incorporating evidence. Great! Some of you may be less sure. Please look over the following resources with the level of detail that you think is necessary:

MEAL Plan Paragraph Structure
Incorporating Evidence

Step 5: Begin Drafting Your Paper

I recommend you write until you feel Stuck, or write until you feel like you need a break and/or some feedback before you can continue. A partial draft can be as many or as few pages as you want, but it should be more substantial than your outline.

If you don’t feel ready to write the intro, that’s okay! Skip to the first body paragraph. Write what you can. This makes less work for yourself later.

When you decide your draft is as done as it’s going to be at this stage, please do the following:

1. Turn it in using the Partial Draft link on Blackboard.
  2. If you are participating in peer review, share it with your groupmates. The form this takes will depend on the method for peer review your group has chosen. (I will be in touch with everyone who signed up soon about their groupmates and the form that works for everyone.) You may also want to include a note for your readers with specific questions you would like feedback on.

Partial drafts are due by the end of Wednesday, April 29.  This due date is especially important for those doing peer review, so that you give your peers enough time to give you feedback.

Step 6: Attend Optional Zoom Class (Or Watch Video Later)

I will host another optional Zoom class on Wednesday, April 29 at 4:30pm, our usual class time. I will be discussing tips for Introductions and Conclusions as well as answering any questions you have.

I will also post a video of Zoom class to Vimeo for anyone who wants to watch it later.

Step 7: Write Feedback For Your Classmates

I will email suggested peer review prompts when I send out the group information. Please give your feedback to your classmates by the end of the day on Friday May 1, unless you and your groupmate(s) agree on another deadline amongst yourselves.

Step 8: Rhetorical Strategies

Read about the Scarcity Appeal and How To Spot Fake News (as well as any of the links in the sidebar that interest you). Post 2 examples of each one + analysis as a comment on this post.

Note that emotional news is not the same as fake news, but news may play to your biases/emotions (appeals to pathos!) to convince you of something that is false or misleading.

6 thoughts on “Module 6 (April 25-May 1): Writing Time!

1. Tiffany Flores

Scarcity appeal:
    Example 1: During any type of holiday companies usually have sales. For example there are a lot of sales during christmas time and during spring.
    Example 2: When companies send you an email about a sale and at the top it usually says “Hurry! you wont wanna miss this” or “Flash Sale! Hurry before it’s too late”

Fake News:
    Example 1: Whenever you take any politicatins quote and put it in all caps it usually is taken out of context
    Example 2: Whenever a picture is photoshop you usually can’t trust the story that is attached

Reply
  2. Juan Marte Melendez

Scarcity Appeal
    I think that everybody has bought a particular product because of a limitation. Scarcity is a good strategy to encourage the audience to take action.

Example #1
    Amazon- Today’s Deal
    Every day I use the Amazon app to see what deals they have. Until now, I realize that’s scarcity appeal. Also, they have deals for holiday seasons, like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Recently I bought a TV because of it sad: hurry, limited time. I can’t believe that I was a target for that advertising. How can I identify if the offer is a real deal or they are only using Scarcity Appeal to sell the product?

Example #2
    Macy’s Wine Cellar
    Every week I receive an email from Macy’s Wine Cellar: over 25% off- This Weekend Only
    In the beginning, I thought it was a good promo (I bought it too- do not blame me…), but I receive the same promo every weekend. They try to sell wines with an offer only available during that time period. Now, I will pay more attention to the scarcity strategy to avoid shopping unnecessarily.

Fake News
    Example #1
    5G mobile networks spread COVID-19
    In March, interest spiked around the time that singer Keri Hilson tweeted:
    “People have been trying to warn us about 5G for YEARS. Petitions, organizations, studies…what we’re going [through] is the [effects] of radiation,” she warned. “5G launched in CHINA. Nov 1, 2019. People dropped dead. See attached & go to my IG stories for more. TURN OFF 5G by disabling LTE!!!”
    Celebrities like her started to tell the followers about the supposed link between of 5G and the pandemic. It is no scientific evidence that virus can travel on radio waves/ mobile networks. COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have 5G, for example, Malaysia, Iran, France, Singapore and Nigeria. Her statement is not enough to prove that theory. The virus is spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks. People can also be infected by touching a contaminated surface and then their eyes, mouth and nose.

Example #2
    Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 77F degrees DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
    You can catch COVID-19, no matter how sunny or hot the weather is. Countries with hot weather have reported cases of COVID-19. To protect yourself, make sure you clean your hands frequently and thoroughly and avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
    UNESCO said: “During this coronavirus pandemic, ‘fake news’ is putting lives at risk”. I haven’t hear some many fake news regarding a topic. This a dangerous situation because when spreading false information you could promote discouragement, sadness, worries. If you receive a news, it is good to analyze where the source comes from, how reliable it is and the impact it can cause if you spread it.

Reply
  3. Lessley Perez

Scarcity appeal-

Example 1: The Dunkin Donuts Peppermint Mocha drink is only available during the Christmas holiday. Being a seasonal drink, many people are often eager to buy it since it is a once a year drink, including my mom. Every year she tells me how she craves a peppermint mocha. By creating seasonal drinks, Dunkin Donuts and other companies that do the same, boost up their sales a lot.

Example 2: The original Black Friday happens in November, but now there are ‘Black Friday’s’ at any point of the year. Regardless people still rush to get the best deals they can find. How throughout the week, stores focus on promoting their deals in order to attract as many customers as they are able to.

Fake News-

Example 1: Boil 3 aspirin tablets and squeezed lemon juice. This apparently was one remedy to cure the coronavirus. Although on the news it was proven to not be true, many still believe it actually works. A lot of the influence comes from things they see on social media or even people they personally trust.

Example 2: In the past week, Kim Jong-Un was presumed to be at his deathbed. Where this claim came from is still unknown, but as of a few days ago, it has surfaced that he in fact is alive and well.

Reply
  4. Kareem Johnson

Scarcity Appeal:

Example 1: Ikea’s Holiday Sale is an example of scarcity appeal because they make their items cheaper and more accessible for a limited time.

Example 2: Amazon Prime’s free shipping countdown timer on orders is another example of scarcity appeal because it attracts buyers interested in free shipping and gives them more or less an ultimatum on how long this will last.

Fake News:

Example 1: TMZ and CNN reporting Kim Jong-Un as dead or dying without any proof, and then being proven wrong when he resurfaced days later.

Example 2: News outlets misconstruing politicians or celebrities comments in an effort to get clicks or view., An example will be when LifeNews reported that Joe Biden called Trump supporters ‘dregs of society’, but Biden was actually referring to the KKK as dregs of society because of their bigotry.

Reply
  5. Kamilla Jelannikova

Scarcity Appeal

Example 1
    There are a few examples where advertising inadvertently uses scarcity in an ad campaign and it actually runs counter to the point of the campaign. There is a Geico ad that uses cookies to demonstrate how great Geico is compared to the competition. In the Geico stack they have 10 cookies which represent the time in business, satisfaction rating, agent availability and their size. All of that is impressive.

Example 2
    Next to their stack was a single cookie for ‘the other guy’. The problem is that the single cookie looks more appealing because of the concept of scarcity, which runs counter to what they are trying to showcase. You need to be careful when creating campaigns to not accidently include a technique that could subconsciously affect the power of the campaign.

Fake News:
    Example 1
    Long before Facebook, Twitter or even Google existed, the fact checking website Snopes.com was running down the half-truths, misinformation, and outright lies that ricochet across the Internet. Today it remains a widely respected clearinghouse of all things factual and not.

Example 2
    “Pizzagate” was a fake news story which connected a pizzeria with a child pornography ring allegedly run by Hillary Clinton and John Podesta. On Sunday, December 3, 2016, an armed shooter entered the pizzeria and fired a shot before being accosted by the police.

Reply