Anonymous Draft 2: This I No Longer Believe

For decades, science and religion have both discredited each other. Normally, people take sides and neither side can seem to give validity to the other side.

When I was younger, I really never put much thought into how the earth was formed. I just knew it was there and that was it. I knew there was science somewhere around there and I also knew there was God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit, back when I was Catholic, sort of.

By the time I was in the 8th grade, I had established in my head; the Earth is the way it is thanks to bacteria. We exist and the animals exist thanks to evolution. What better explanation could there be?

At the age of 15, I started attending a Christian church. As the months passed by, I believed the idea that God created everything. Nothing was possible without God, science existed because of God’s creation. For a while, I didn’t question it. It wasn’t until the Pastor brought the Hebrew/Jewish beliefs into the congregation, that I changed my mind once again.

Currently, I believe that both theories/ beliefs have some truth to it and that the Earth or the Universe was neither formed by only God or only science.  The reason why I say this is because both sides have some holes that, in my opinion, can be filled in with one another. The way I came up with this theory, was how is it that things happened the way they did? If God was the creator, why did things change overtime? Why were not things just made the way he wanted since the beginning?

The theory starts with the fact that, God made Earth itself, the shape of it, and perhaps he added the water and plants. He also made animals and humans, but they were not what they look like today. This is where science comes in, in the past, animals looked very different, this we can confirm. Huge furry spiders, that over time, have evolved. Spiders, while still deadly, are now much smaller than us humans.

4 thoughts on “Anonymous Draft 2: This I No Longer Believe

1. Rig Cona

I like how you word this paragraph and pretty much talk about how animals evolve over time. Also I enjoy how you go back and forth with science and God. Was there anything significant that made you question things a little more besides the pastor bringing in the Hebrew/Jewish beliefs into the congregation?Reference

Reply
  2. Hadiann Traore

What is the jewish/hebrew belief? Elaborate. Whats the story as to why your belief changed. You state that you no longer believe god created everything then, later go on to say you believe that both theories of god and/or science created everything, which one is it?

Reply
  3. Destiny A. Daley

I like they way you talked about how your thought process changed over the years. As a child were you ever ridiculed (maybe by your parents) into accepting your catholic beliefs? Also what was the reason behind going to a christian church instead of a catholic one?Reference

Reply